Guidelines for Charging Faculty Summer Salary to Sponsored Projects

The Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost released new Guidelines for Charging Faculty Summer Salary to Sponsored Projects. The guidance is provided for faculty who, in addition to their nine-month academic salary, choose to expend additional effort on any sponsored projects during the summer months of June, July, and/or August.

Download the Attestation Form to complete and digitally sign for faculty requesting 100% effort on sponsored projects during the summer.

  • Faculty cannot charge 100% to sponsored projects in any given month. Effort is limited to 95% on sponsored projects with 5% charged to other less restrictive funds. If a faculty wishes to charge 100% to grants they would submit the Attestation Form.
  • Faculty cannot appoint themselves to sponsored projects from 08/16 – 08/31 if they have a full time teaching appointment in the Fall Semester. For faculty who wish to work 3 full summer months they need to shift their effort to non-teaching times such as 05/16 – 08/15.

FAQs

Answer: This is acceptable because they are not more than 95% on grant funds. They can be compensated 50% from sponsored funds and 50% from non-sponsored funds. The new guidelines only limits compensation to not more than 95% on grant accounts.

Answer: Yes, if they are committing 100% effort for the month of July, an Attestation Form is required. The 100% policy is for any full month.

Answer: The faculty can have 95% effort on a sponsored project with the remaining 5% unfunded. However, they cannot be 100% committed to sponsored projects and still do other activities. In other words, it is not about the pay but the effort. So they cannot be 100% effort and 95% pay.

Answer: 100% sponsored project effort in any given month during the academic year or summer term is only allowable with the Attestation Form. The attestation form was created as a way to allow faculty to continue the practice of contributing 100% effort to sponsored projects in any given month while making them aware that when this occurs they cannot conduct other institutional or research activities during the same period.

Answer: Yes, the policy only applies to 26 accounts.

Answer: Yes, since their effort is 100% on sponsored funds, an Attestation Form is required. The NIH salary cap limits the amount of salary that can be charged to a project, and not the level of effort a PI can commit to a project.

Answer: Yes, the Attestation Form is still necessary if the individual is a “faculty member.” If it were to be a “staff” member that does not have teaching assignments during the academic year, it could be treated differently.

Answer: An Attestation Form is not required when a faculty commits 100% appointment for 2 weeks out of the month. The monthly effort is 50% on sponsored funds and 50% on non-sponsored funds.

Answer: If the non-sponsored funds allow other duties, typically the case, then no. The swap isn’t needed for everyone teaching in the fall.

Answer: If they are teaching in fall, then they cannot ascribe 100% effort to a grant during the last half of August. Effort and number of working hours is different.

If the faculty member is teaching part-time in the fall (or not at all), they can be appointed part-time (or appropriate %) on sponsored fund during the last half of August.

Answer: There are several CSUs that are not providing discretionary funds for faculty to cover this gap. In this case the faculty member could be appointed for a 95% FTE or they can swap funds during the 9 month appointment. In that scenario, the costing allocation cannot exceed the actual effort on the grant for that appointment period. You do have some flexibility in this swap so that these two things are aligned.

Also, important to note: that carry forward from the instructional budget can be used as dean’s excellence. These are the funds that you would use to cover the summer months if appointing the faculty to a non-teaching job. To summarize, you would release salary funds from the 9 month in the -01 sub, then use dean’s excellence in the 55/56 sub to support them in the summer.

Answer: Yes. The new salary policy limits effort on grants to 95%. If a faculty member wishes to reduce their summer job to 38 hours (95% of a full-time summer job) or less, then 100% of that 38 hour job can be charged to the grant and the attestation is not required.

See more below...