The eAnimal Ordering system allows for the online submission, review, routing, and tracking of vertebrate research animal order requests.
Access to eAnimal Ordering is restricted to current faculty, staff, and students listed in the Personnel section of a currently approved animal care and use protocol in the eProtocol IACUC system. This ensures that only persons approved by the IACUC to participate in an animal research project can request the purchase of animals for that project. Note that there are two levels of authority:
- Anyone that is listed in the Personnel section of an animal use protocol (AUP) in eProtocol IACUC can create an animal order and save it to the system for later submission to the ARC after lab approval.
- The only persons that can approve an animal order on behalf of the laboratory and submit it to the ARC for final processing are those listed on the AUP in one of the four Personnel positions that are authorized to submit changes to a protocol: Principal Investigator, Co-PI, Administrative Contact or Other Submitter.
This means that if an order is initiated and saved in the system by someone listed as “Other Personnel”, the order will stay in the system until someone in one of the four authorized categories on the protocol approves the order and submits it for ARC processing. However, this does not mean that the PI or another senior member of the lab must approve animal orders, nor that each order must be a two-step process for the lab. The most streamlined way to perform ordering for most labs will be to have orders initiated and approved as a one-step process by either the Administrative Contact or the Other Submitter, which are both authorized roles that can be filled by an administrative person that does not participate in the animal research and has not fulfilled the normal IACUC training requirements. These two roles are specifically included in eProtocol as a way to have non-technical persons institute administrative actions involving AUPs and animal orders.
To enter the eAnimal Ordering system, navigate to the following link: https://spike.orsc.utexas.edu/eao
Refer to Quick Start Guide for abbreviated instructions.
Refer to eAO User Manual for more detailed user instructions.
Please contact the Animal Resources Center with any questions, comments, or concerns.
Additional Animal Ordering Information
All animal orders are placed by the ARC administrative office staff and ordered through standard vendors (e.g. Charles River, Jackson Labs, Envigo and Taconic)
The ARC prefers to receive orders in advance with plenty of time for clarifications and supply adjustments if needed. Orders must be placed before 7:00 A.M. the Thursday before delivery, with the exception of weeks involving holidays which often have altered ordering and delivery schedules. Contact the ARC main office for more information.
To ensure accurate and prompt delivery of orders, please follow the instructions below.
- Requiring specific age, weight or pregnant: Orders requiring animals to be a specific weight, age or pregnant; an inquiry must be made with the vendor to verify availability and arrival dates.
- Requiring surgery: Orders requiring surgery must be placed two to three weeks before expected delivery dates. Once the order has been received, ARC will contact the requester to verify the surgery before placing the order. These orders cannot be canceled. You will be responsible for the full amount of the invoice if canceled for any reason.
- Large orders requiring procurement over $15,000: A vendor quote will be required for orders pricing between $15,000.00 – $25,000.00. Please contact the ARC Administrative Office at 512-471-0090, to discuss further details. The date of arrival will vary. Allow two to four weeks for delivery after a PO has been final approved by UT purchasing. Quotes in the amount of $15,000.00 or more, will require a departmental account in order to create a PO.
- Ordering from other institutions: Researchers must receive approval from the ARC Director, Dr. Glen Otto for all animals being acquired from other institutions. Please see “FAQs – Importing Special Rodent Strains” on our Policies & Procedures page.
- Animals will be delivered to the requested animal facility and set up by ARC staff.
- You must discuss special arrangements with the ARC management if you wish to pick up animals upon receipt or relocate your animals to a non-ARC managed satellite facility.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please contact:
- Hannah Cerritos, Administrative Assistant (Front Office), 512-471-0091 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minnie Tatum, Administrative Associate, 512-232-1969 or email@example.com
Need help with your animal use protocol? Please see the eProtocol IACUC page.