The Office of the VPR acknowledges and values the critical role that research support staff in departments, units and central offices have in advancing research at the University of Texas. Their expertise in proposal support, grant administration, and compliance policy is essential to launching and maintaining successful relationships between the university and the many agencies, foundations and industrial partners that fund research.
We encourage individual research administrators to pursue opportunities for professional development through:
- membership and participation in national and regional research administrator organizations such as the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) and the Society for Research Administrators International (SRA International)
- enrollment in grant management seminars and workshops
- professional certification as a Certified Research Administrator (CRA), Certified Financial Research Administrator (CFRA), and Certified Pre-Award Research Administrator (CPRA)
- timely information sharing made available through the Research Administrators Network (RAN)
- familiarization with university policy detailed in the Office of Sponsored Project’s Department Research Administrator (DRA) Handbook
Perhaps the easiest way to jump in is through membership in UT’s Association of Research Administrators. Launched in early 2017, the ARA aims to unite and strengthen research administration at UT through networking, information sharing, and training. Contact Liz Kogan to receive notification about future meetings.
To show our continued support of the efforts of research support staff at UT, the Vice President for Research sponsors annual Research Administrator Awards in two categories:
The nomination cycle for 2017 has concluded. Winners will be announced at the National Research Administrator Day Celebration on Tuesday, September 26 at Noon in MAI 212. Awardees will be presented with a certificate and $500 by the Vice President for Research. Anyone who has a role in Research Administration, no matter how big or small, is welcome and encouraged to attend. Come network with your colleagues across campus and enjoy the provided lunch and an opportunity to win door prizes.