OSP Research Administration Training
The Fundamentals of Research Administration Training will no longer be offered as a two-day workshop held twice a year. Instead, it will be broken out as topic based training offered as a combination of on-line training and in-person training (Zoom during COVID-19).
Below please find the Core Curriculum that will be offered through OSP Research Administration Training.
- Sponsored Project Overview (Active in UTLearn)
- Cost Sharing
- Salary Compensation Reporting
- Agreement Types
- Proposal Budget Creation
- Planning and Issuing Subawards
- Managing Subawards
- Gifts vs Grants vs Business Contracts
- Spending on Sponsored Funding / Cost Transfers / Cost Allocation
- Sponsored Invoice & Reporting
- Sponsored Project Closeout
- Foreign Influence in Research
- NIH Overview
Volunteer! Please consider volunteering as a Subject Matter Expert!
If interested, please email me at email@example.com.
SP1811: Sponsored Project Overview
Online Course is available in UTLearn (search for Sponsored Projects Overview)
The primary audience for this course are UT employees who serve in the role of pre-award or post-award research administrator. Employees in these important roles are responsible for supporting sponsored projects during the pre-award or post-award phases.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand basic sponsored project terminology, such as types of sponsored projects and types of sponsored funding.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities associated with sponsored projects.
- Understand the life cycle of a sponsored project.
- Identify resources available to pre-award and post-award departmental research administrators.
SP1812: Proposal Budget Creation
This course provides a basic overview of the proposal budget creation process. Participants will learn the necessary tools to be efficient, compliant, and successful during the proposal budget creation process.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the importance of following the sponsor guidelines and deadlines for proposal budget creation.
- Articulate the common policies and regulations that must be adhered to by units throughout the proposal budget creation process.
- Prepare a proposal budget using basic calculations and guidelines for the completion of the common proposal budget categories (e.g., personnel, travel, F&A).
SP1813: Planning and Issuing Subawards
This course provides learners with an in-depth look at the various policies and procedures associated with planning and issuing a subaward. Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Determine if a given activity should be classified as a subaward or a contract for professional services, what paperwork is needed to include a subaward in a proposal, how sub-recipients are “vetted” by the University, and the special obligations associated with subawards under federal contracts.
- Explain how subawards are issued and how to start the subrecipient monitoring process during the life of the subaward.
SP1814: Managing Subawards
This course focuses on best practices for successful management of out-going subawards. These topics include identifying the roles and responsibilities of PIs and departments to effectively manage a subaward, such as compliance oversight, review and approval of subaward invoices, technical progress reviews, information needed to modify a subaward and subaward closeouts. In addition, we will discuss best practices for managing special circumstances, including disputes between subrecipients and the University, managing equipment title, PI transfers, and handling foreign subawards.
SP1815: Sponsored Project Closeouts
This course provides Department Research Administrators with an in-depth look at the closeout phase of a sponsored project. It is intended for those who have general knowledge of sponsored projects and research compliance. Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Perform common closeout related administrative and financial tasks according to their role in the process.
- Interpret appropriate DEFINE screens and identify items requiring attention.
- Resolve identified issues.
SP1816: NIH Overview
This course focuses on NIH policy and best practices for successful management of NIH awards, from proposal through closeout. Topics covered include:
- Foreign Influence Disclosure Requirements
- Budgeting Effort & Salary in Proposals
- Awards & Prior Approvals
- Progress Report Requirements