What you need to do if an incident involving recombinant or synthetic nucleic acid molecules, biohazardous agents, materials, or toxins occurs such as a spill, work-related injury, sickness, or exposure occurs.
If a spill occurs then the following must take place:
- Isolate the area and if possible contain the spill.
- Contact the PI and Biosafety Officer immediately at 512-471-3511 (24hr. hotline)
In the event of a needle stick, bite, scratch or direct contact (splash to skin or face)
- Flush wound or point of contact
- Contact the PI and Biosafety Officer immediately at 512-471-3511 (24hr. hotline).
- Contact the ARC Director at 512-471-7534 if incident involved animals
- For minor work-related injuries and exposures to biohazardous materials during regular business hours call the HealthPoint Occupational Health Program at 512-471-4OHP (4647).
- After hours instructions are available on the HealthPoint Occupational Health Program website.