Conflict of Interest
Background and Policy
The University of Texas at Austin policy, Promoting Objectivity in Research by Managing, Reducing or Eliminating Financial Conflicts of Interest (HOP 7-1210), governs the disclosure of individual financial interests and the management and reporting of individual financial conflicts of interest in research performed on behalf of the University of Texas at Austin.
This policy conforms to the requirements of federal regulations of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and the HHS Public Health Service (45 CFR Part 94 and 42 CFR Part 50, Subpart F). However, this policy is not limited in application to PHS-funded research. The policy applies broadly to research performed at, or on behalf of the University, regardless of whether the research is funded, and regardless of the funding source. The full text of the policy is available here.
Individuals who are responsible for the design, conduct or reporting of University research are required to submit financial interest disclosure forms at least annually, according to this policy. The University utilizes a web-based Financial Interest Disclosure form (eProtocol FID): https://spike.orsc.utexas.edu/fid/. The Office of Research Support and Compliance conducts the review of financial interest disclosures and the management and reporting of financial conflicts of interest related to research.
- Requirements for Investigators & Collaborators
- Applicability: Who is a Covered Individual?
- How Conflicts of Interest are Managed
- How to Submit Your Financial Interest Disclosure (FID) Form
- How to Update Your Financial Interest Disclosure (FID) Form
- How to Disable Web Browser’s Pop-Up Blocker
- Guidance for Proposals, Awards and Contracts
- Reporting COIs in PHS-Funded Research
- COI FAQs