Electronics Services

We provide general electronics, scientific/laboratory equipment repair, maintenance, calibration, installation set-up and design.

We are one of the few, if only, Surface Mount Device (SMD) re-work facilities on campus! We do electronics re-work and repair including surface-mount and fine pitch devices. We work with compressed nitrogen/air equipment for the removal/replacement of surface-mount components and trace repair.

We also provide consultation on electrical issues for laboratories and classrooms.

If you’re not sure who to call…call us! We’ll check out your problem and see what will need to be done.

John Goutier


The University of Texas at Austin
NMS 3.114
2500 Speedway, A4800
Austin, TX 78712

If you would like to make a request for service, please read through the required steps on page 2 of the EHS Decontamination Form before submission.

Please contact John Goutier for a consultation or for service request.

EHS Decontamination Form

Can you perform electrical installations?

Electrical installations are generally the responsibility of Facilities Services or outside contractors. The reattachment of a fixture and cord-and-plug type installations are usually within acceptable limits of this department.

Can I bring stuff from my house for you to repair?

This departments responsibilities extend only to UT owned equipment. Work performed on personal items is strictly forbidden by UT policy.

Can you design something for me?

Consultations for design work are accepted on a case-by-case basis. Completion time frames must be flexible as repair of equipment is considered priority.

Do you ever work after hours?

Normal working hours are from 7am - 4pm, Monday - Friday, with usual lunch from 12pm - 1pm. Occasional emergencies or unusual circumstances may require later and/or earlier operating hours.

Do you do plumbing?

Plumbing lines or piping integral to equipment is usually the responsibility of this department. Lines which connect feed from building utilities generally belong to Facilities Services.

Can you repair my freezer/refrigerator?

In some instances, an assessment for repair can be made but Facilities Services generally provides service on this type of equipment which requires specific licensure. If you are uncertain who to call, please notify us and we will be happy to make the determination. Sometimes, there are mechanical or electrical issues that we can resolve and avoid a call to Facilities Services.

Do you work on autoclaves/sterilizers or dishwashers?

Autoclaves/Sterilizers and most dishwashers are the responsibility of Facilities Services. Usually, a tag indicating that Facilities Services is the designated repair entity, an equipment ID number, as well as the number to call for service, is displayed on the equipment. Some stand-alone units that are not hardwired/piped to building utilities may be serviced by this department.

Do you work on vacuum pumps?

Contact us and a determination can be made on your specific pump/application. Vacuum pumps are not usually serviced by this department; however we do service most aspiration pumps.

Aspiration Pumps

Change out tank water at least monthly to avoid malfunctions and unnecessary service calls.

Vacuum Pumps

Change out oil as per manufacturer's recommendations to insure trouble-free operation.

Bryan Medina


The University of Texas at Austin
MBB 1.426K
2500 Speedway, A4800
Austin, TX 78712