The Mouse Genetic Engineering Facility (MGEF) provides services to generate, maintain, and archive transgenic mice for understanding mammalian gene function and modeling human disease.
The MGEF can use CRISPR to generate mice with indels, deletions, point mutations, small tags, and conditional alleles. Our standard background is C57BL/6J, but other strains are possible. Founders can be generated in about three months.
Because, in some instances, rats, rather than mice, may be the preferred model for neurobehavioral and toxicology studies, the MGEF also makes CRISPR gene-edited rats. The core can efficiently generate indel and deletion alleles. For other alleles, please inquire. The standard background is Sprague Dawley or Long-Evans.
- Free project consultation to discuss best approaches and considerations
- Allele design
- CRISPR reagent preparation and gRNA testing
- Embryo microinjection
- Screening of founder animals
- Breeding of founders to test for germline transmission
- Sequencing of N1 animals to verify correct gene editing
- Development of an automated genotyping assay in conjunction with Transnetyx
Mouse Embryonic Stem (ES) Cells
The MGEF can carry out gene targeting in 129 strain and 129/B6 hybrid mouse ES cells and inject ES cells into blastocyst-stage embryos. The MGEF also has extensive experience generating tissue-specific knockout mice using C57BL/6N ES cell clones from the International Knockout Mouse Project repositories.
Cryopreservation and Recovery
The MGEF provides services for both sperm and embryo cryopreservation. Sperm cryopreservation is usually the preferred option as it is quick and efficient and requires only two proven breeder males. Embryo cryopreservation is the preferred option when the mouse line is on a non-standard genetic background, or when multiple alleles need to be maintained.
- Sperm and embryo cryopreservation
- Embryo cryorecovery
- In vitro fertilization (IVF)
- IVF speed expansion to rapidly ramp up transgenic colonies
- Rederivation to SPF status
- Assistance with shipping and receiving cryopreserved materials
Breeding and Stock Maintenance
The MGEF leverages its extensive experience working with mice to provide husbandry and breeding options to enable researchers to manage their transgenic colonies more efficiently.
- Custom mouse breeding, weaning, and colony management
- Animal identification and tail snips
- Collection of timed embryos for phenotypic analysis, tissue collection, and molecular experiments including RNA profiling and ATAC sequencing
- Assistance in obtaining histopathology services