R01 Writing Groups
Writing a strong NIH R01 application requires dedicated, careful thought and writing. PIs often struggle to carve out dedicated grant writing time in a schedule already full of teaching, research, service, and other scholarly activities. Writing groups are an effective technique for increasing writing effort. Being part of a peer group to whom you are held accountable, which meets at a regularly scheduled time for the dedicated purpose of writing, could just be the extra push you need to help your application materialize.
To support our PIs as they pioneer revolutionary, comprehensive research in Health and Well-Being, OVPR Research Development has partnered with the Population Research Center (PRC) to offer R01 Writing Groups.
Early-career and new-to-NIH PIs may find writing an R01 to be particularly daunting, lacking the “tips and tricks” more NIH-experienced PIs have learned. Therefore, R01 Writing Groups are designed around the needs of our “pre-R01” PIs. Throughout the 2022-2023 academic year, we will regularly provide detailed guidance on application components, working toward a complete draft by late Spring 2023. Critically, we will facilitate specific feedback from NIH-experienced UT PIs at key points in the writing process to ensure participants receive institute-specific expert guidance.
Writing groups will meet mid-September 2022 through May 2023. Participants are expected to submit an R01 application in June, 2023.
R01 Writing Groups include:
- 4-6 person writing groups, organized by OVPR/PRC. Groups will meet regularly throughout the 2022-2023 academic year. Groups will be self-directed, taking advantage of sample designs/schedules and optional meeting spaces to develop a group that meets all members’ needs.
- Guidance on how to craft a successful R01 proposal in the form of Q&As with OVPR/PRC leadership and curated, topic-specific collections of resources.
- Specific feedback from NIH-experienced UT PIs once per semester, organized by OVPR/PRC.
- Must be a UT Principal Investigator planning to submit an NIH R01 application in June, 2023.
- Must commit to meeting with your writing group for a minimum of 2 hours every other week throughout the academic year.
- For the inaugural 2022-2023 cohort, preference will be given to PIs who have not yet secured R01 funding, regardless of career stage or history of R01 submissions.
How to Join
Click here to submit a brief application. The information provided will be used by OVPR to match participants to writing groups and to recruit relevant expert PIs.
2022-2023 R01 Writing Groups Key Dates
|August 26, 2022||Application deadline.|
|Early September, 2022||Participants are informed of their writing group match.|
|September 14, 2022 12-1:30 pm||Program Kick-off luncheon.|
|Week of September 19, 2022||First writing group meeting.
Groups will continue to meet for a minimum of 2hr every other week.
|Mid-October, 2022||Expert feedback: Specific Aims page.|
|December 13, 2022 - January 7, 2023||Winter Break.
Goal: have drafted 3-4 pages of Research Strategy going into break.
|Late-March, 2023||Expert feedback: Entire proposal.|
|Early-April, 2023||“Shut Up and Write!” event|
|June 5, 2023||Standard R01 submission deadline.|