Employment & Benefits

Office of Human Resources

The Human Resource Service Center (HRSC) is the first point of assistance for department customers, and serves as a clearinghouse for information about university benefits, employment opportunities, and department services.


Visit your department’s human resources office for assistance.

  • Appointment process:  there are two types of postdoctoral appointments:  as Staff or employee (job code: 0712), and as University Affiliate or non-employee (position code: A010)
  • Find your HRS representative



University Health Services: University Health Services (UHS) provides medical care and patient education students at The University of Texas at Austin. Services include family/internal medicine, sports medicine, women’s healthcare, immunizations and allergy shots, travel health, dietitian consultations, physical therapy, and on-site lab and radiology. Postdoctoral fellows may use UHS by paying a Service Extension Fee.

In the interest of protecting our international community, the Board of Regents requires that all J-1 visa-holders (as well as the accompanying spouse and dependents of J-1 visa-holders) be adequately covered by health insurance. Any visiting Research Affiliate, whether employed by the university or not, whose IAP-66 form for a J-1 visa has been processed by Texas Global at UT is eligible for the same type of insurance as that which is available to students. The insurance program is one of the important matters covered in the orientation program for our international guests.

Identification card and EID

An identification card (ID) can be obtained, with prior approval from your host department, by visiting the ID Center, located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center, FAC 102.

Building access and office space

Room keys (or proximity card) can be obtained with prior approval from your host department. For detailed information, click here.

Parking and Transportation Services

Parking and Transportation Services provides resources on campus parking lots, parking garages and shuttle service. The office also issues parking permits and collects fines for parking and traffic violations.

If you wish to park an automobile or motorcycle on the campus, you must obtain a parking permit.  This can be arranged at the discretion of your host department, in a request on letterhead addressed to Parking and Transportation.  This letter will entitle you to an “A” parking permit.

University of Texas Libraries

An active assignment as well as a University ID card will give you access to university libraries.

Tax advice

  • Tax advice is available from the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) at Texas Global for non-residents, from February 15 to April 15. Visit Texas Global for more information.
  • Tax resources for residents


  • The Division of Recreational Sports offers a wide variety of recreational facilities and programs  seven days a week (available from early in the morning to late at night) to students, faculty, and staff.  All postdocs regardless of classification qualify for faculty/staff-level access at the UT Rec Sports Center.  A University ID card is a prerequisite, and there is a charge for membership, which must be paid in advance.
  • UT Athletics

Cultural Activities


The University of Texas at Austin Child Development Center provides childcare services to university students, faculty and staff.