For International Employees

Getting a Social Security Number

A Social Security Number (SSN) is needed to facilitate payment for scholarships and/or employment, and to file U.S. income taxes. Visit the websites below for more information and instructions.

Health Insurance

U.S. Department of State regulations require all J-1 Exchange Visitors to have medical insurance for themselves and any accompanying J-2 family members for the duration of their program. Fulfilling this requirement is essential, not only because of the U.S. Department of State regulations, but because medical treatment in the United States is very expensive without proper insurance coverage. Visit the International Office website for more information.