RICE: Rapid Interconnect Circuit Evaluator
Physical Sciences : Electrical
Available for non-exclusive licensing
- Lawrence Pileggi, Ph.D. , Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Curtis Ratzlaff , Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Nanda Gopal, Ph.D. , Electrical and Computer Engineering
Existing software being used for timing analysis falls into two cateqories: 1) extremely slow and very accurate (e.g., SPICE) or 2) verv fast, inaccurate, and topology-limited. RICE bridges this problem, in that it is very fast while retaining accuracy comparable to SPICE. Additionallv, it does not restrict the complexity of the RLC circuit models.
RICE is a software tool that allows a verv rapid characterization of RLC interconnect circuit models for the primary purpose of timinq analysis in digital VLSI circuits, multichip modules, and related timinq analysis problems. RICE is a collection of efficiently implemented specialized algorithms that allow very efficient, yet very accurate,
analysis of RLC circuit models.
- Produces a reduced-order analytical model that completely characterizes the signal
- Bypasses the numerical instabilities of earlier methods
- Guarantees stable approximations for stable circuits
Additional applications of the RICE software and techniques include transmission line characterization, VLSI power distribution analysis, and timing-driven placement algorithms.