WAV-file Automated Analysis of Vocalizations Environment-Specific (WAAVES)
Computing & Wireless : Application Software
Available for licensing
- Christine Duvauchelle , Pharmacy
- James Reno, II, B.A. , Psychology
- Bryan Marker , Computer Science
- Lawrence Cormack, Ph.D. , Psychology
- Timothy Schallert , University of Texas at Austin
Human emotion is a crucial component of drug abuse and addiction. Ultrasonic vocalizations (USVs) emitted by rodents are a highly translational animal model of emotion in drug abuse studies. A major roadblock to comprehensive use of USV data is the overwhelming burden to attain accurate USV assessment in a timely manner. One of the most accurate methods of analyzing USVs, human auditory detection with simultaneous spectrogram inspection, requires USV sound files to be played back at 4% normal speed.
WAAVES (WAV-file Automated Analysis of Vocalizations Environment Specific) is an automated USV assessment program utilizing the Signal and Image Processing Toolboxes created by MATLAB, in conjunction with a series of customized filters to separate USV calls from background noise, and accurately tabulate and categorize USVs as flat or frequency-modulated (FM) calls.
- Time required to analyze sound files through WAAVES takes 0.4% of the time required by manual analysis.
- Analysis is complete with USV characteristics.
- Reads WAV files
- Creates spectrograms
- Identifies sound elements
- Ultrasonic vocalizations are separated from other noises created by the animal interacting with the environment.
Microphone manufacturers, Avisoft, MedPC, etc.
Beta product/commercial prototype