NIH Loan Repayment Programs
2019 Application Cycle
Applications for NIH’s 2019 Loan Repayment Programs are due by November 15, 2018, 5:00 PM CST. Post-submission certification by OSP is also due on November 15, 2018; therefore, the online application must be submitted by the PI AND the Department Chairman’s certification letter must be received in OSP by November 13, 2018, 5:00 PM CST.
National Institutes of Health Loan Repayment Programs (LRPs) can repay up to $35,000 of qualified student loan debt per year, including most undergraduate, graduate, and medical school loans for health professionals pursuing careers in clinical, pediatric, contraception and infertility, or health disparities research, and for clinical researchers from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Possess a doctoral-level degree (e.g. M.D., Ph.D.), and
- Conduct qualifying research supported by a domestic non-profit foundation (e.g., universities), non-profit, professional association, or other non-profit institution, and
- Possess educational loan debt equal to at least 20% of institutional base salary, and
- Conduct research for an average of 20 hours per week, and
- Be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. national, or permanent resident.
Note: Recipients of a Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) support from an individual postdoctoral fellowship (F32) or an institutional research training grant (T32) are eligible for loan repayment. However, NRSA recipients must be granted a formal extension of the NRSA service payback (see http://grants1.nih.gov/training/payback.htm) in order to be eligible for LRP participation during their second year of NRSA support.
- Download the Application Instruction Booklet.
- Download the Pre Application Checklist.
- Do you have an NIH Commons ID? If not, contact OSP’s Electronic Research Administrator, Cathie Simpkins, at (512) 471-2340 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
These programs require electronic submission through the LRP site. The applicant must list the name and e-mail address of the Institutional Business Official (IBO). Although submission to OSP is not required, please list Courtney Frazier Swaney and corresponding email email@example.com as the IBO. Listing a different email address may delay processing of the LRP application.
After the applicant has submitted the electronic application, OSP will receive an e-mail request from NIH to certify the following:
- Applicant’s institutional base salary;
- Applicant’s engagement in qualified research for an average of at least 20 hours per week;
- Applicant’s receipt of the necessary time and resources to engage in the named research project for two years from the date a Loan Repayment Program contract is executed;
- That the research is not prohibited by federal law; and
- Applicant’s Citizenship.
In order for OSP to certify this information, the department must provide to OSP an email from the applicant’s Department Chairman certifying this information is correct. Please use this template for this 2019 application cycle.
The deadline for OSP to provide certification is also November 15, 2018 at 5:00 PM CST. In order for our office to make this deadline, the online application must be submitted by the PI by November 13, 2018, 5:00 PM CST AND the Department Chairman’s letter must be received in OSP by 5:00 PM CST, November 13, 2018.
For questions, contact Courtney Frazier Swaney at 512-471-6424 or firstname.lastname@example.org.