The Macromolecular Crystallography Facility is equipped with an Art Robbins Instruments Phoenix crystallization robot, ideal for high throughput crystallization experiments. Leading crystallization screening kits from Hampton Research, Qiagen, and other vendors are available for use. See below for a list of kits available in the facility. Storage of crystallization plates both at 4ºC and room temperature is supported. Materials are also available for the manual preparation of crystallization plates.
For the automated review of crystallization experiments, the facility is equipped with the Art Robbins CrysCam. High power stereo microscopes are also available for manual review.
Protein-ligand studies with the Differential Scanning Fluorimetry method can help find ligands which stabilize the structure of a protein molecule, perhaps enhancing its ability to crystallize. For these experiments, the core is equipped with a Roche LightCycler 480 Real-Time PCR Instrument.
Dynamic light scattering studies of a macromolecular solution can help determine whether the macromolecule is likely to crystallize. A Protein Solutions DynaPro-801 molecular sizing instrument is available for these studies.
Macromolecular samples may be submitted to the facility for crystallization experiments as well as for auxiliary studies. Contact Art Monzingo for more information.
Training and assistance is available for interested users on the crystallization instruments. Instruments can be reserved and used by trained users. Please complete and submit a Service Request to reserve use of an instrument.
Description of Crystallization Services
- Phoenix Usage – Use of the Art Robbins Instruments Phoenix crystallization robot to set up a plate of crystallization conditions with the user’s protein sample.
- CrysCam Usage – Use of the Art Robbins CrysCam for the imaging of a plate.
- Programmed CrysCam Imaging – Imaging of a plate with the Art Robbins CrysCam (by staff) on days 1, 2, 4, and 8 following set-up. Images available for view via the internet.
- Manual Plate Preparation – Preparation of optizimation experiments by staff.
- LightCycler Usage – Use of the Roche LightCycler 480 Real-Time PCR Instrument.
- Training – Training on an instrument or a method.
Crystallization Screen Kits Available in the Facility
- Hampton Research Crystal Screen HT
- Hampton Research Index HT
- Hampton Research PEG/Ion HT
- Qiagen JCSG+ Suite
- Qiagen PEGs Suite
- Qiagen Protein Complex Suite
- Rigaku Reagents Wizard Classic 1&2
- Rigaku Reagents Wizard Classic 3&4
- Molecular Dimensions Morpheus HT-96
- Microlytic MCSG-1 HT
- Microlytic MCSG-2 HT